The Orion Nebula M42 & Running Man

Post your pics here, or questions about how to take pictures.
Dariusz

The Orion Nebula M42 & Running Man

Postby Dariusz » 21 May 2017, 21:08

Hi Guys
Got this just processed. It is a difficult object to deal with. In that case, the centre of the nebula is overexposed.
Stack 60x30s @ iso 1600 ( plus calibrating frames darkx25 , flatx25, bias x25) Canon 600D
NEQ6 , SW200 F5 , Coma corrector
Attachments
M42 The Orion Nebula Con.jpg
M42 The Orion Nebula Con.jpg (3.58 MiB) Viewed 313 times
Last edited by Dariusz on 09 Jun 2017, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.

berniemc

Re: The Orion Nebula M42 & Running Man

Postby berniemc » 07 Jun 2017, 17:54

Thanks to yourself and everyone else involved in the recent "Planetary Panel Show" Darius. I thought it was inspirational !

I've since been playing around with the DLSR and the stacking software with a few wide field shots just using the prime lens. Good fun, just playing so nothing worth posting. Deep Sky photography underneath the street lamps is not great....

Would you mind letting us know if you took the M42 sequence from home or did you go out to a darker area ? And was that with a telephoto lens or a telescope ? It is really nice as are the others you've recently posted.

I also appreciated the tutorial of last month and am starting to grasp some basics regarding both planetary and deep sky photograpy. Very useful.

I'm putting together a stepper motor driven home-made barn door EQ mount and hoping to take some nice deep sky photos myself. Curious to see what I can get with the Nikon and the 135mm F3.5 fixed length lens. Its from my old 35mm camera but works fine on the modern (ahem 2007) APS-C DLSR.

I may have further questions at some point : - )

Bernie
Dalgety Bay

Dariusz

Re: The Orion Nebula M42 & Running Man

Postby Dariusz » 09 Jun 2017, 00:13

Hi Bernie
Thanks for your feedback regarding the last meeting, we appreciate you guys found it interesting.

The wilde field view shots are great and you can have descent results with your DSLR plus lens. I would recommend eg Andromeda Galaxy due to its size on the sky.
I'm pretty sure that the look on that object from that perspective will surprise you.
If you stick to a rule
600/ lens focal length (mm)
You will get a result witch is the maximum time of single exposure in seconds that the stars will not move across the detector and in that case scenario you don't need a motorized mount.
So
600/135 is 4.4s
600/35 gives you max 17s !!!.not bad

Another way is taking shots of constellations and further processing like highlighting the main stars or creating boundaries.
Moon is always a good target 000.

I'm sorry tbh I've newer checked if the photo details are seen and I'll update it soon.
I took it from my garden and it's acceptable but conditions are far from that you can get under dark sky.

I hope it helps a little and don't hesitate to ask anything.

Return to “Astrophotography”