All this sunshine - a solar day soon (please!)?

Ephemera like comets, eclipses, meteor showers etc.
Alderney99

All this sunshine - a solar day soon (please!)?

Postby Alderney99 » 14 Jul 2013, 12:40

Its mid-July in Sub-tropical Scotland, and for once the "Scottish monsoon season" hasn't yet broken upon us. :D

Can we perhaps put together a "Solar Day" (with backup dates just in case...) - soon :!: ???

justanotherpete

Re: All this sunshine - a solar day soon (please!)?

Postby justanotherpete » 15 Jul 2013, 01:10

I'd be interested in that, in fact Saturday 20th looks good according to metcheck. I could bring a couple of scopes (H-alpha and white light), just a case of how many interested and where?
Pete

Opel star

Postby Opel star » 15 Jul 2013, 22:11

Sounds good but I am working till 12 on saturday the 20th so if its in the afternoon that will be Ok.Any ideas where to have it?Sounds like a good excuse for a barbecue? :wink:

justanotherpete

Postby justanotherpete » 16 Jul 2013, 15:08

OK some suggestions for where:

1) We could just go and take over the car park at the Braefoot Dark Sky site from about 10 or 11am onwards.

2) There are also two possible sites at Limekilns, first is at the end of Brucehaven Rd, here...
Limekilns 1.jpg
Limekilns 1.jpg (739.49 KiB) Viewed 1367 times

or second is further along at Harbour Rd here...
Limekilns 2.jpg
Limekilns 2.jpg (667.18 KiB) Viewed 1367 times

again both of these will be byo deck chair etc.
P.S. have no idea how busy these areas will be on a Saturday.

3) I could host at my house in back garden but space is a bit limited probably just enough for about 3 to 5 scopes, also no Barbie, and bring your own deck chair :)

Let me know what you think, any other suggestions gratefully received...
Pete

Alderney99

Postby Alderney99 » 17 Jul 2013, 20:25

As someone said to me today - if everyone chipped in £3 each or something we could order one of these big buckets of grub from KFC and have it delivered to the "site"!

Only problem with "public" locations for setting-up is - it is public (so slight problem with "refreshments").

Mind you - are these locations at Limekilns anywhere near the Ship Inn (if it still exists?)

The Braefoot car park I note is still often empty or near-empty - the "doggie people" (of whatever...er...category...)
still seem to want to park on the road verges,

This Sunday is forecast to be a belter of a day weatherwise.

justanotherpete

Postby justanotherpete » 17 Jul 2013, 21:42

The limekilns locations are E and W sides of the village, the ship inn is roughly in the middle.

We seem to be leaning towards Braefoot Car Park, so just preferred start time and day to be decided.

Unfortunately I can't do Sunday, previous engagement, but if Sunday is preferred and Chris is going I could leave the Coranado with him.

Pete

Opel star

Postby Opel star » 17 Jul 2013, 23:34

Hi, just checked the weather reports and saturday is looking like its going to be 25 and sunny :D I have just spoken to the manager at the Elgin hotel in Limekilns which has large open grass areas and hard standing in the car park.He says we are welcome to set up at the hotel. There is a very good bar for "refreshments" and food is available between 12 and 14:30.There is also a very good kids play area.What do you think? Any of the other sites are good with me :D
Chris

justanotherpete

Postby justanotherpete » 18 Jul 2013, 09:39

Good idea, nice one Chris :) What time on Saturday then, I could aim to be there for about 1230'ish ?
Pete

Opel star

Postby Opel star » 18 Jul 2013, 10:29

Solar party and a pint :D Everybody is welcome to come to the Elgin in Charlestown at Limkilns.Bring the family and friends. http://www.theelginhotel.com/ If we could get there for 12:30 the weather report looks like it is going to be sunny :D Bring a solar scope along if you like. I'm going to bring my camera to try and get some pics of solar flares and sun spots!Can you bring your solar scopes please Pete
Chris 8) 8) 8)

justanotherpete

Postby justanotherpete » 18 Jul 2013, 15:03

Will do Chris; not sure how successful we'll be with pics thro the Coronado, apparently there's a spacer I have to remove before camera's can get close enough in to focus, but if you've got a strap wrench bring it along and hopefully we can do that on the day.

By the way is this something we should think about doing once a month thro the summer on sunny weekend days?

Chris

Return to “Astronomical Events”