Venus Transit 6 June 2012

Ephemera like comets, eclipses, meteor showers etc.
Ryohei

Venus Transit 6 June 2012

Postby Ryohei » 21 May 2012, 20:54

Hi

Assuming we get good weather (and is THAT a big assumption.....), I am planning to head up to St. Andrews or at any rate somewhere close by, to try my hand. I worked out I'd be 161 by the time of the next transit, so.......

My aim originally was to find somewhere a little bit southwest of St. Andrews that looks over the town towards the point of sunrise. That point, I estimate, should be out over the North Sea, hence maximum access to the solar disk which will be critical as I understand we in Northern latitudes aren't going to get more than the very last stages of the event. Having the town's skyline in the foreground is not relevant to imaging the transit, but would enhance a sunrise pic or two (might as well get the maximum value out of the trip!)

if it wasn't for the skyline thing, my site of choice would be up near the Fairmont - as I recall, there was an uninterrupted view over the maritime horizon from yon clubhouse.

Anyone else thinking along similar lines?

If it's peeing down on the day - and sadly that is so much more likely in Scotland - I'm selling my telescope and taking up meteorology.

Alan the Slightly Optimistic
Skywatcher 150PL, Canon EOS 400D, Orion Starshoot IV + laptop, cardboard box for hiding laptop in when imaging the Sun.

pbholmes

Re: Venus Transit 6 June 2012

Postby pbholmes » 23 May 2012, 21:39

There's a good site on the coast, East of Kingsbarns village and North of Kingsbarns golf links.
If you turn off the A917 onto Back Stile and head straight for the coast, there's a public car park right by the sea.

We've got permission to use the Fairmont.**
It has a great view to the North East, all the way to Norway.

We need to be there, set up and ready to observe by 04:35 04:20*.
That means arriving about 04:00 03:30-03:45, which in turn means leaving Dalgety Bay about 2.30 2.00am. :shock:

I'm planning to go, and I'll have two or three spare seats in my car. If I take three, the boot probably won't
take everyone's equipment, so two is more feasible.

*Edited times after posting.
**Edited location after posting.
Last edited by pbholmes on 26 May 2012, 20:53, edited 2 times in total.

Ryohei

Postby Ryohei » 24 May 2012, 14:45

Sounds like a plan Paul. I was kind of hoping I'd have some company. All we need now is the weather to co-operate!

I'm heading off to Gran Canaria this weekend, looking forward to a glimpse of at least part of the Southern Cross. Telescope's staying at home though - She Who Must Be Obeyed has spoken...........
Skywatcher 150PL, Canon EOS 400D, Orion Starshoot IV + laptop, cardboard box for hiding laptop in when imaging the Sun.

Alderney99

Postby Alderney99 » 27 May 2012, 21:31

Can take 3 passengers, plenty of room, either uplifting from the Bay (I'm round the corner from Paul) or to pick up anywhere en route. Can pick up door-to-door in the Bay or for anyone wanting to park locally.

Won't be carrying any equipment per se, so can take any minor items for passengers or for others (e.g. knapsacks, small kit, etc).

Anyone contacting me for a lift, can you do so through this thread please. TQs

ONLY STIPULATION - I MUST be back in the Bay before 8:15 AM, or I WILL be seeing stars! :(

IJ

Solar B

Postby Solar B » 28 May 2012, 11:46

Hi Paul

Was wondering if we need to leave that early , as I reckon it can only be about an hours drive away.

I can take four passengers but have 2 places already reserved so can accommodate another 2.

B
" Gentlemen only ever use Refractors "

pbholmes

Postby pbholmes » 29 May 2012, 19:40

Hi Brian,

If you are a very 'enthusiastic' driver (which I'm not) you might be able to make it in an hour.
When we went through to the Fairmont at the end of March, it took me an hour after picking Andy up in Kirkcaldy,
mainly because once you get into the East Neuk the roads get narrow and twisty.

Differences from last time:
Better - the roads will be quieter.
Worse - we'll be driving in the dark.

All in all, it's just a recommendation, but I plan to leave at 2 and aim to arrive for 3.30.
If your equipment is quick to set up, you might not need to arrive as early as that.

P.

Ryohei

Postby Ryohei » 04 Jun 2012, 23:22

All we need now is the weather to co-operate. I'm leaving Glenrothes around 02:30, going via Cupar & St. Andrews (sod that East Neuk run) so should get there around 03:30-ish.

Just back from Gran Canaria - I THINK I managed to glimpse the northernmost part of the Southern Cross. It was hard getting used to a sky as seen from a latitude around 30 degrees further South than good (c)old Fife, but fun all the same. I failed to persuade The Boss to let me take my telescope, however.

pbholmes

Postby pbholmes » 05 Jun 2012, 18:14

Glad you had a good trip.
See you at the Fairmont. Geoff should be there first, near the clubhouse, so look out for him when you get there.

P.

Alderney99

Postby Alderney99 » 05 Jun 2012, 20:03

Are we still "on" for this???

BBC Scotland weather at tea-time for 3am-4am looks very doubtfull, but of course very "general".

IJ

pbholmes

Postby pbholmes » 06 Jun 2012, 03:06

I'm on site at the Fairmont now. Cloudy, but not raining. Geoff & clan here too.

Return to “Astronomical Events”