M1 The Crab Nebula

Ephemera like comets, eclipses, meteor showers etc.
Cosmic

M1 The Crab Nebula

Postby Cosmic » 09 Dec 2008, 10:52

I have been looking for the Crab nebula for months now, last night I finally got to see it!

Bear in mind where I am it is heavily light polluted and there was a very bright moon out last night. I knew it would be a faint object but reasoned my 12" Dob would easily be able to see it. How wrong I was.

The magnitude 3.0 star close by might as well have been the Sun in my eyepiece. very bright indeed. I had looked at various star maps and M1 is shown as being very close to this. I used a 26mm plossl and my light pollution filter to darken the sky a bit but still no luck. I decided to do a wide sweep of the area in the azimuth. Suddenly I detected a faint but very large (about twice the size of the moon) patch I stopped the scope but it seemed to disappear so moving the scope forwards and backwards in rapid succession I picked it up against the moving background.
I switched to 12.5 plossl and saw a darker patch in the ellptical shape but alas no central star. I can't wait for a darker site to see this little beauty that has eluded me for so long.

This may seem a little dramatic to those of you who have probably seen it so many times but to me it was like the Holy Grail.

Also had some more fine views of M42 in Orion and M36 in Auriga.

I then turned the scope to the moon and WOW! what a magnificent site, so easily overlooked is our near neighbour but well worth the time and effort. I must invest in a moon filter though as in a 12" it is very overpowering.

Anyway that was my experience last night and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.  :D

Cosmic
Meade 8inch  SCT. Observatory mounted on an HEQ5 Pro using EQMOD Canon 1000D modified DSLR,200mm Dobsonian, 200mm Celestron C8, 15x70 Astro Binoculars. 2x Mintron ccd cameras, lots of other stuff.

bwh

Postby bwh » 13 Dec 2008, 20:51

whats the focal lenth of your 12inch monster ... so we now what mag you looking at....

:)
bwh

Meade 8inch (228mm) LX5 Smidt-Cassegrain fl=2000
Skywatcher 5inch (120mm) Refractor fl=1000m
Meade DSI Pro
Canon 300D
Toucam Pro II 840k

Cosmic

Crabs

Postby Cosmic » 15 Dec 2008, 11:18

Brian

F/5

That would make it around 120x @12.5mm yes?

Cosmic
Meade 8inch  SCT. Observatory mounted on an HEQ5 Pro using EQMOD Canon 1000D modified DSLR,200mm Dobsonian, 200mm Celestron C8, 15x70 Astro Binoculars. 2x Mintron ccd cameras, lots of other stuff.

Return to “Astronomical Events”