Meteor spectacular!!

Ephemera like comets, eclipses, meteor showers etc.
seabay

Meteor spectacular!!

Postby seabay » 09 Oct 2008, 08:13

Fabulously clear, still and transparent sky this morning, when I got up at 3am (don’t ask!) . . . . all the stars of Lepus clearly visible, even through double-glazing . . . . outside, and M44 immediately obvious to the naked eye, even without averted vision – Eridanus visible all the way down to about 2 degrees above the sea . . . . you get the picture!

Best of all: 4.08am – meteor appeared about 1 degree above Betelgeuse, at a mag comparable with Rigel – very slow moving, taking about 3 seconds to reach a point about 3 degrees above Epsilon Geminorum, leaving a wide trail of “sparks” and brightening steadily as it did so, to about mag -4, at which point it exploded (not sure if that’s the right technical term, but you know what I mean!), reaching around mag -7/8, and covering an area approximately one and a half times that of the Pleiades (resulting vapour trail – or whatever it’s called! – lasting 22 seconds).

:shock:    Whoa!

And only the second time I’ve seen anything like this (in 40 years!), so how happy am I this morning??
Emma H

Cosmic

Meteor

Postby Cosmic » 09 Oct 2008, 11:09

Wow! Emma

I'm jealous you can see down to 2 degrees above horizon. I would have to lie flat on the ground to see that low and then I probably wouldn't see as low as you can.

The Meteor sounded spectacular. Video next time please! :D

I have a very sore neck this morning so I hope I can blag upright finder
form shop where I purchased it.
Regards
Cosmic
Meade 8inch  SCT. Observatory mounted on an HEQ5 Pro using EQMOD Canon 1000D modified DSLR,200mm Dobsonian, 200mm Celestron C8, 15x70 Astro Binoculars. 2x Mintron ccd cameras, lots of other stuff.

seabay

Postby seabay » 13 Oct 2008, 11:26

Spookily enough, this is pretty close to what I saw last week -

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap081011.html

- hope this will do, in lieu of a video, Cosmic!!

:lol:
Emma H

Cosmic

Meteor

Postby Cosmic » 13 Oct 2008, 16:37

Hi Emma
'Fraid not!

Next time take the video camera to bed (make sure the old man doesn't get too excited though  :D )
Then you'll be ready for the next Bolide.

Cosmic
Meade 8inch  SCT. Observatory mounted on an HEQ5 Pro using EQMOD Canon 1000D modified DSLR,200mm Dobsonian, 200mm Celestron C8, 15x70 Astro Binoculars. 2x Mintron ccd cameras, lots of other stuff.

seabay

Postby seabay » 14 Oct 2008, 13:19

I'll tell him you said that!!   :lol:

But since this is the first bolide I've seen since 1984, I think it'll be a long wait for the next one!

E
Emma H

Return to “Astronomical Events”