Partial Solar Eclipse On the 1st August (Tomorrow)

Ephemera like comets, eclipses, meteor showers etc.
astrogeorge

Partial Solar Eclipse On the 1st August (Tomorrow)

Postby astrogeorge » 31 Jul 2008, 13:42

Hi everyone,
                   Sorry I've not been at the last 2 meeting been tied up with other things. Anyway just thought I would remind everyone about tomorrows Solar eclipse, it will be a partial eclipse for us but still worth seeing (weather permitting). The eclipse starts at around 9.30am and lasts until just after 11am, should be around 40% of the suns surface eclipsed so view with severe precaution, i would recommend using mylar eclipse glasses. This will be the last eclipse visible from the UK until 4th January 2011 so lets hope we get clear skies.
Celestron C100ED-R, Meade LX200 10" &  Series 5000 80mm Apo, Coronado PST
EQ6 Pro with GPS
Meade Series 4000 Eyepieces  & 2x Apo Barlow
Tele Vue 4x & 5x Power Mate
Meade DSI Colour & DSI II Pro, Image Source DBK 21, Canon Eos 400D

seabay

Postby seabay » 31 Jul 2008, 18:25

Hope you guys get a decent view of the eclipse - especially as you'll get so much more of the solar disc obscured than we will down here!  Our weather is looking patchy - skies should be completely clear, but not until after the event - well, that's never happened before (irony!).
Emma H

Solar B

Postby Solar B » 31 Jul 2008, 21:59

Im going round to Petes tomorrow morning with a PST to have a look
But looking at how bad the weather is tonight im not holding my breath.
Hope Paul & Kirsty manage to see the Whole Event.
                                                                          Brian

seabay

Postby seabay » 01 Aug 2008, 18:35

So there I was, sheltering under my umbrella, hiding from a sudden downpour, and clutching my borrowed eclipse viewer . . . . !
Pretty poor conditions down here, but for those of us who went up to Foredown Tower (home of our local camera obscura - oh yes!), it was worth the trip as we did manage to see glimpses of the partially eclipsed sun between the clouds.
Quite a few people attended, although that did mean a lot of standing around, interspersed by several sudden stampedes for the Coronado PST and the projection box!
Hope you guys had a better view, and fingers X'd for the partial lunar on 16th Aug.
Emma H

Cosmic

Solar Eclipse

Postby Cosmic » 02 Aug 2008, 12:46

Not a sausage from where i was  :(

However, I am pleased to say there was a partial eclipse of my Big Mac as I was raising My large Choco milk shake to my mouth  :D

Still not to worry it's not so long to 2011 -sigh-

cosmic
Meade 8inch  SCT. Observatory mounted on an HEQ5 Pro using EQMOD Canon 1000D modified DSLR,200mm Dobsonian, 200mm Celestron C8, 15x70 Astro Binoculars. 2x Mintron ccd cameras, lots of other stuff.

seabay

Postby seabay » 03 Aug 2008, 18:21

Weather continues to be hopeless down here too!  Last night was the East Sussex Astronomical Society's annual "summer" (!) BBQ and loads of 'scopes were on hand, including a Meade LX90 - all we got was some cracking views of some leaves and a lot of clouds!
We didn't even think of doing burger eclipses - a missed opportunity, and one to bear in mind for next year!

:))
Emma H

Return to “Astronomical Events”