Last Night

Discuss the nature of the Universe and the things in it.
Cosmic

Last Night

Postby Cosmic » 12 Mar 2015, 12:07

Had a wonderful evening 11th March 2015
The stars were out last night in all their glory so took the covers off the 8 inch Dobsonian and had a night of visual observing for a change. What a night! firstly tried locating objects with the finder scope but that proved next to useless on all but the brightest objects (Thank you for illuminating the Forth Rail Bridge and sending a beam of light to illuminate the southern sky whichever cretin was responsible for that idea!!!!). Next I put a new battery in my Wixy digital angle finder and levelled the wixy with a spirit level on the scope tube to 0 degrees. Then used the Star map app on my iPhone to find the Altitude of any object and BINGO! spot on every target. I decided to go for Globulars a nd feint nebulae the latter proving impossible because of the light pollution but had great success on the globulars.
I turned my attention to jupiter which was a magnificent sight in my 25mm eyepiece so put in my Revelation astro 1.5 Barlow and the surface detail was amazing! I noticed on Star map that Dwarf Planet Juno was well placed so went to the Alt setting on my Wixy and behold! Juno in all its splendour a lovely sight and marvelled at it for some time thinking back to my childhood and how I longed to see one of the largest Asteroids which is now classed as a Dwarf Planet. So I finally fulfilled one of my ambitions albeit some 50 years later. As many of you know i usually do all my observing through CCTV cameras but tonight was a very special experience and one I hope to repeat at my earliest opportunity.
Geoff
Meade 8inch  SCT. Observatory mounted on an HEQ5 Pro using EQMOD Canon 1000D modified DSLR,200mm Dobsonian, 200mm Celestron C8, 15x70 Astro Binoculars. 2x Mintron ccd cameras, lots of other stuff.

justanotherpete

Re: Last Night

Postby justanotherpete » 12 Mar 2015, 18:21

Sounds like you had a great night, oh and welcome back to the dinosaurs - we'll soon get you back into the habit of using eyepieces again :)
Pete

Return to “General Astronomy”