Capturing the Aurora

Discuss the nature of the Universe and the things in it.
Jetamio

Capturing the Aurora

Postby Jetamio » 14 Sep 2009, 05:43

Heyas all, long time no speakee.

I've been silly busy with work this summer, but after going to the cinema to see Harry Potter, I saw the aurora on the way home in the middle of summer  :shock: I just about drove off the road in my surprise. It was July 21st and I live far enough North that we only get 3 hours of darkness if we're lucky at that time of year.

It wasn't very bright, and only showing the greens, but it was definately the aurora. Here's a picture though its not very clear at all. http://madreddruid.deviantart.com/art/Aurora-130436663

Which leads me to my next question :) Do any of you know how to get the best pictures of it with a camera? While its only the first time I've seen it here (2nd time in my whole life hehe), we are moving to a place near Alaska next spring so I know I will see alot more of it in the future and would love to capture it on film  :lol:
I didn't make one yet...

Cosmic

Postby Cosmic » 15 Sep 2009, 11:24

HI Jet
You lucky sod! off to Alaska eh! On the subject of Aurora I have myself only seen this phenomenon once in my youth (1967) from the tenement I lived in at the time. It was a sight I will never forget and to this day I still remember the vivid green curtains of light gently folding their way across a much darker night sky then.

Best you ask Bob Henderson. He's the club chief astrophotographer so he would probably know best settings.

cheerio the noo'
Cosmic
Meade 8inch  SCT. Observatory mounted on an HEQ5 Pro using EQMOD Canon 1000D modified DSLR,200mm Dobsonian, 200mm Celestron C8, 15x70 Astro Binoculars. 2x Mintron ccd cameras, lots of other stuff.

Jetamio

Postby Jetamio » 16 Sep 2009, 05:49

Aaw, you missed it when it happened in Dunfermline five or six years ago then? Thats the only time I saw it til I came here. It's still engraved on my memory, and the one I saw here in summer was very dim compared to that one.
I didn't make one yet...

Return to “General Astronomy”