International Light Pollution Assessment: JOIN IN!

Discuss the nature of the Universe and the things in it.
seabay

International Light Pollution Assessment: JOIN IN!

Postby seabay » 08 Mar 2007, 19:42

Hello everyone!

I’ve received the following from Oscar Sifuentes (who writes for BEGINNERS’ BRIEF), who is the Outreach Officer at Brevard Astronomical Society in Florida; hope you can help!

============================================

Hi Emma:
Please read the following paragraph and have your astronomy club help count the stars in the constellation Orion the Hunter. It's to figure out world-wide the extent of light pollution. all instructions are included, It does not even require a telescope or binoculars, just your eyes!
Thanks for helping out!
Hope you get some clear skies!
your Astro bud, Oscar

============================================

Equipped with only your eyes, you can join other stargazers in a worldwide effort to assess light pollution.
A team of astronomers and environmental scientists wants you to count some stars this month as part of the GLOBE at Night project, an effort to gauge the extent of light pollution worldwide. The task is simple: determine how many of Orion's stars can be seen on clear, moonless evenings from your home or observing site, then report your findings to project's website at -

http://www.globe.gov/GaN/

Conceived by staffers at the National Optical Astronomy Observatories in Tucson, Arizona, this ambitious endeavor is managed by the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research and Colorado State University. GLOBE stands for Global Learning and Observations to Benefit the Environment, a program to involve primary-and secondary-school students in scientific activities worldwide.

-ends-
Emma H

Solar B

Postby Solar B » 09 Mar 2007, 00:44

Im gonna give it a go Emma , one question though does it have to be dark first ? Brian

Jetamio

Postby Jetamio » 09 Mar 2007, 04:04

Erm, I think I better have a closer look at a constellation map so I know which ones actually belong to Orion hehe. Will have a go though!
I didn't make one yet...

Return to “General Astronomy”