Possible Future Junior Section

News about Dalgety Bay Astronomy Club.
admin

Possible Future Junior Section

Postby admin » 22 Mar 2012, 20:34

There has been some interest recently in setting up a junior section of the club.
If you are experienced at working with children, and you have a good understanding of the requirements of the PVG Act, both for individuals and for organisations, then you may be interested in becoming a founder or leader of a junior section.
We’ll be kicking off discussion at our March Meeting.
You can also discuss it here on the forum.

admin

Re: Possible Future Junior Section

Postby admin » 29 Sep 2012, 17:28

Update from Alice:
Hi all,

I hope you had a good summer break.
I’d like to give you a quick update on the astronomy kids club. Yes, I’m still keen and working on it :-).

I would like to try and set this up, a bit later than originally planned, for next autumn (2013) as I am currently
expecting a Baby in December.

Regarding the PVG Scheme (previously “enhanced disclosure”), things seem to have become easier than in previous years.
Now you do not need a new PVG for every activity you’re doing. This means anyone holding a current PVG can just add another
activity (e.g. astronomy kids club). If there is interest I will update you on how this is done.

Anyone who would like to be involved with the kids club needs to join the PVG Scheme. I am currently in the process of obtaining
mine as I applied to volunteer as a STEM ambassador (doing science outreach work with schools etc.).

Regarding the club, we have two options:

i) The club meets the criteria of a Qualifying Voluntary Organisation , then we may be eligible for free checks.
For the PVG Scheme, a “qualifying voluntary organisation” is an organisation which:

· is not a further education institution, a school, a public or local authority, or which is not under the management of a
public or local authority; and

· is not conducted primarily for profit, and any profit generated is used to further the objectives of the organisation and
not distributed to its members.

I think this applies to our club! This mean if we want to be accredited as such a “qualifying voluntary organisation” we need
to register with the Central Registered Body in Scotland (CRBS) who will allow them to process their PVG applications for
volunteers free of charge.

Alternatively,

ii) It costs £59 per application to join the PVG scheme , if we do not qualify for (i). In that case we can become a Registered Body .
In order to become a registered body with Disclosure Scotland our organisation will need to complete a registration application.
There is also an annual fee of £75 for organisations to become a registered body with Disclosure Scotland.

Looking at the costs, I think it would be worth to apply for status of “qualifying voluntary organisation”. We can discuss this during
the next meetings or online. Please let me know what you think.

Further I have found a few potential funding options from the IoP (Institute of Physics and Royal Society of Edinburgh) and the
Royal Society Edinburgh.

http://www.iop.org/about/grants/outreac ... 38843.html
http://www.iopscotland.org/activities/public/index.html
http://www.royalsoced.org.uk/810_Cormac ... rants.html

I will contact them and find out if an astronomy kids club would be eligible for their grants.

- Once we made a decision on the PVG Scheme and I looked into the funding options, we should discuss the following points:

- - What age group do we want to offer the club for?
- - What time and day of the week should it take place?
- - Can we use the cabin (it would be great if the person responsible for booking the normal astronomy club session could
get in contact with me)?

If anyone is interested in helping out (either with organisation or running session for the club or just some thoughts and ideas)
please let me know.

I’ll post any updates here (and mentions them during the club meetings).

Cheers,

Alice

Return to “Club News”