Publicity Subcommittee

News about Dalgety Bay Astronomy Club.
pbholmes

Publicity Subcommittee

Postby pbholmes » 30 Oct 2008, 22:25

The job of publicizing the club has always been a demanding one, and as yet we have no-one on the Committee who is clearly responsible for it. This means that despite achieving some good publicity recently, we have also missed some opportunities to let people in West Fife know about us.

I am delighted to announce, therefore, that Geoff Ruzgar has volunteered to form a Publicity Subcommittee for the club. Geoff will now be our liaison with the local press, and will also be helping us by co-ordinating our presence at forthcoming public events.

Congratulations, Geoff, and looking forward to working with you!

Paul, and the Committee.

Cosmic

Postby Cosmic » 31 Oct 2008, 01:08

Hi Paul and everyone,

Thanks for the intro and my first task is a very pleasing one. We have gained permission to make an exhibit at the parent Interview Night at St Leonards P.S.
Dunfermline.

We will be allowed to canvas parents to join the club and discuss the up coming Junior Star Party (to be held at the Kabin 18th Nov).

We need some volunteers to join us on the night of Wed 12th November from about 5pm until 8pm. Ideally we would like a few telescopes and astronomy bits and bobs to make a nice display. We will also produce a leaflet which mrs patrick Head teacher is going to give to P5,6 and 7 pupils to take home and invite them and their parents to the Junior Star Party. This is a wonderful opportunity to increase the membership and the profile of the club so please support us in this endeavour.

Any offers of help please PM me.
regards

Cosmic
Meade 8inch  SCT. Observatory mounted on an HEQ5 Pro using EQMOD Canon 1000D modified DSLR,200mm Dobsonian, 200mm Celestron C8, 15x70 Astro Binoculars. 2x Mintron ccd cameras, lots of other stuff.

Cosmic

Postby Cosmic » 06 Nov 2008, 16:15

Errr....Volunteers seem a bit thin on the ground..... remember this YOUR CLUB let's try and raise the profile and the membership. If anyone with an interest in Astronomy can help on the night it would be appreciated.

Let me know
Cosmic
Meade 8inch  SCT. Observatory mounted on an HEQ5 Pro using EQMOD Canon 1000D modified DSLR,200mm Dobsonian, 200mm Celestron C8, 15x70 Astro Binoculars. 2x Mintron ccd cameras, lots of other stuff.

Cosmic

Postby Cosmic » 08 Nov 2008, 11:20

Just to let you all know of the short timescale....we need the leaflet to be given to ST Leonards on Monday morning to go out to Parents that evening via pupils schoolbags....so please try to speed this up.

Cosmic

pbholmes

Postby pbholmes » 08 Nov 2008, 20:53

Put me down for 6 to 8pm.

P.

Cosmic

St Leonards

Postby Cosmic » 08 Nov 2008, 21:26

Paul

Great!  That's You and Cazza and Me. perhaps one more from 5pm along with me would be nice.

Cosmic

Cosmic

Postby Cosmic » 10 Nov 2008, 10:43

OK Guys

Pressure is off! Evening starts at 1800 hrs so looks like Paul, Cazza and Me. However, if anyone else would like to come along then please do 1800 to 2000 hrs.

Posters have been taken to School this morning and will be distributed to every child in P5,P6,P7.  

So that's it let's hope it's a good 'un.

Cosmic

Cosmic

Parents Night St Leonards

Postby Cosmic » 13 Nov 2008, 11:38

Well I certainly enjoyed that meeting last night. May thanks to Paul, Cazza and Iain for coming along and supporting the event.

Cazza was brilliant with the kids. She took a lot of time to try to explain Stellarium to them (even if she pretends not to understand the program  :D )

Paul and Iain did a sterling job manning the main desk and engaging parents in conversation about the Club, the Star party and Astronomy in general.

The main objective of this evening was to raise the profile of the club in the community and promote the Kids Star Party 18th Nov.

However I feel we achieved much more than that. We forged a strong link with St leonard's P.S. one which Headmistress Jennifer Patrick is very keen to enlarge on. We have been invited to talk to P6 about the universe as it is part of the curriculum in that year.

2009 is the International year of Astronomy. One of the main aims is to get young children involved in the science of astronomy. I feel this is an area, with our wealth of knowledge in the club members, that we can promote to other schools in Fife too.

ANY contribution (not monetary) will be most greatly appreciated.
I will, in the coming months be approaching the membership to get involved. :D

That also includes members of this forum, if you feel you can help in any way with this please feel free to contact us.

As for next week all we can hope for is good weather and a good turnout.

Many thanks to all concerned.

Cosmic

Return to “Club News”