Stepper motor upgrade for LX200

Discuss practical questions about using equipment,
finding celestial objects etc.
longinthetooth

Stepper motor upgrade for LX200

Postby longinthetooth » 22 Jan 2014, 19:16

Hi folks,
Sorry I haven't been able to get along to recent meetings and I certainly haven't been able to spend as much time as I should on this hobby!
I wondered if anyone could advise on how to motorise focus on 10" Classic so that I know what the focus position is and can return it accurately to a known position to suit any particular set up. The dc electronic focuser I already have gives no indication of how far in or out the focus position has moved. I've read that stepper motors are available to drive various focusers and they will give you a read out of where along the focus path you are. I also have a mount hub pro which will control a stepper motor focuser and software is available to give a visual measure of focus position.
So far the options seem to be: Moonlite or Microtouch stepper motors attached to Feathertouch or similar Crayford SCT focusers (to replace the standard Meade focus knob).
The choice of upgrades however is bewildering and also pretty expensive! In my enquiries to various retailers I've been offered several solutions some of which seemed more than I actually need and included one which definitely won't be any advance on what I already have!
I'd appreciate any advice folk were able to give.
Cheers
John B
Altair Astro 102 EDT on Skywatcher AZEQ6GT pier mounted, Baader modded Canon 700D, 10" Meade LX200 deforked, Meade DSI3 OSC. Swift Model 831, Roll off roof observatory, plus loads of bits which may come in handy ...one day...

longinthetooth

Re: Stepper motor upgrade for LX200

Postby longinthetooth » 11 Feb 2014, 22:00

Update
I've ended up with a Revelation Superfocus R and P with an add on stepper motor which should be controllable from the MHP.
Altair Astro 102 EDT on Skywatcher AZEQ6GT pier mounted, Baader modded Canon 700D, 10" Meade LX200 deforked, Meade DSI3 OSC. Swift Model 831, Roll off roof observatory, plus loads of bits which may come in handy ...one day...

Return to “Practical Astronomy”