Orion Starshoot IV problems

Discuss practical questions about using equipment,
finding celestial objects etc.
Ryohei

Orion Starshoot IV problems

Postby Ryohei » 14 Sep 2012, 02:55

Hi. I'm using an Orion Starshoot IV camera along with my Skywatcher 150PL scope. I'm doing ok with imaging the Moon, Sun and Venus, but Jupiter is proving hard to get. Even after carefully checking alignment etc I can't even get it to appear on the laptop screen at all. I've also tried gently moving the scope around, in the hope of glimpsing even an out-of-focus Jupiter that I can then home in on, but no. Try as I might, I get nothing. I can't believe that my modest setup is totally incapable of registering Jupiter - I know I can't get the Andromeda galaxy but then that is very faint anyway - so what am I doing wrong? Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but what?

All suggestions, as always, gratefully received.

Alan S
Skywatcher 150PL, Canon EOS 400D, Orion Starshoot IV + laptop, cardboard box for hiding laptop in when imaging the Sun.

Cosmic

Re: Orion Starshoot IV problems

Postby Cosmic » 19 Sep 2012, 16:19

Hi Ryo
you have to remember the ccd chip in your camera is tiny, possibly 1/3 inch? to get your 6 inch scope to put that exactly in the middle of your chip is no easy feat. As long as you focus on a bright star and get that to be in focus then jupiter will also be in focus. If you are polar aligning you scope it will have to be pretty good and the setting circles pretty accurate to use RA/DEC co-ordinates to locate But...if your finder scope is correctly synched with the scope then it should be no problem. If you bring the scope to the club and the camera I will try to help you.
Geoff
Meade 8inch  SCT. Observatory mounted on an HEQ5 Pro using EQMOD Canon 1000D modified DSLR,200mm Dobsonian, 200mm Celestron C8, 15x70 Astro Binoculars. 2x Mintron ccd cameras, lots of other stuff.

Ryohei

Re: Orion Starshoot IV problems

Postby Ryohei » 27 Sep 2012, 16:12

Hi Geoff.

Thanks for that. I suspected the chip size had something to do with it, but maybe the gain/brightness setting is also part of the problem.

Sorry I missed the meeting on Tuesday, was on duty at Tynecastle unfortunately. I should be ok for October I think, and if the sky gods are kind we can maybe have a go outside.

I'm now off to negotiate an early departure from East End Park on 20th October, for the Dark Sky thing at St. Andrews. - we're supposed to be working at East End Park that day and G4S like us to turn up at what is considered Fife staff's "home" ground, when the Pars are at home.....

Alan S.
Skywatcher 150PL, Canon EOS 400D, Orion Starshoot IV + laptop, cardboard box for hiding laptop in when imaging the Sun.

Return to “Practical Astronomy”