Light Pollution Filter

Discuss practical questions about using equipment,
finding celestial objects etc.
pbholmes

Light Pollution Filter

Postby pbholmes » 04 Jan 2007, 20:03

Santa brought me some vouchers for the David Hinds shop, and one of the things I saw on there was a light pollution reduction filter.
http://www.celestron.uk.com/catalogues/view_item.asp?ItemID=31258&CatalogueID=272&CategoryID=3880

They also have the (considerably cheaper) Neodymium filter.
http://www.celestron.uk.com/catalogues/view_item.asp?ItemID=32258&CatalogueID=272&CategoryID=3982

Does anyone have any experience of using these?
Are they likely to make galaxies and nebulae visible from downtown DB?

Paul.

bhenderson50

Postby bhenderson50 » 05 Jan 2007, 00:21

Hi Paul,
I have not used either of these filters, but I would suggest you have a look on the web to find transmission curves for them before you decide which one to go for. Some filters may effectively cut out light pollution wavelengths, but at the cost of significantly reduced transmission at the wavelengths you want to see. This is of more significance with smaller aperture telescopes [can't remenber what you have - was it 4.5" reflector?]
Maybe we could discuss this further on Monday.
Bob
bobh

NightHawk

Postby NightHawk » 05 Jan 2007, 02:22

I had no idea such a device/filter existed. This is a very exciting device indeed! < I might look very inexperienced here. But I need to investigate!

I returned my meade 60mm Refractor today due to a fault. I am upgrading to a Meade ETX 80 AT-TC Refractor 3.15" and should arrive soon. Telescope house are really not living up to their reputation with us.

http://www.meade.com/etx/etx80.html

I presume these filters will fit all telescopes? will it fit my new telescope?

Thanks, Neil

--Just to add, are these adverts produced by myfastforum.org? Domain registration and webspace cost peanuts now a days. I'm happy to donate.

adt175

Postby adt175 » 18 Jan 2007, 19:59

I had a LPR filter a while back and got rid of it as I didn't think it was up to much. At the time I wasn't imaging and visually it didn't do anything (at least as far as I could see) other than darkening the view at the eyepiece. Never tried it for imaging so can't comment there....
I wouldn't buy one brand new. They come up fairly often on UK Buy / Sell so save some dosh by looking there:
www.astrobuysell.com/uk
Andy

pbholmes

Postby pbholmes » 18 Jan 2007, 21:17

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the tip.
I hadn't seen that site before, but I've bookmarked it now.

Paul.

Dean

Postby Dean » 19 Jan 2007, 01:27

I ordered a Neodymium filter a few days ago, so I'll let you know how I get on with it as soon as I get a chance to use it.

adt175

Postby adt175 » 19 Jan 2007, 22:02

Paul
Astro Buy / Sell is pretty good. I've bought and sold a few things without any problem. If you're after something in particular like your LPR filter you can post a wanted ad. The temptaion of cash is usually enough to real in a bargain.
Cheers
Andy

Return to “Practical Astronomy”