LX200 classic problem

Discuss practical questions about using equipment,
finding celestial objects etc.
longinthetooth

LX200 classic problem

Postby longinthetooth » 06 Nov 2011, 22:38

Hi folks - help needed please!
Does anyone on the forum have experience with LX200? Mine seems to have developed a fault - the handset simply shows "Meade" and won't activate the scope. Any number of causes appear possible if posts to other sites are to be believed - none of them good news it seems! I'd appreciate if anyone here can shed light on the issue and possible solutions.
Thanks in anticipation.
John B

Cosmic

Postby Cosmic » 07 Nov 2011, 10:51

was the lx200 always set up and you just turned it on and saw the Meade display or did you assemble the cable connector to the scope and handset in order to set it up? if so check you don't have the handset cable round the wrong way I can't remember if they are the same connector on both ends but this happened to me with an ETX90 and that was the problem. Otherwise its probably a mainboard problem check the diode marked D1 on the mainboard.
Geoff
Meade 8inch  SCT. Observatory mounted on an HEQ5 Pro using EQMOD Canon 1000D modified DSLR,200mm Dobsonian, 200mm Celestron C8, 15x70 Astro Binoculars. 2x Mintron ccd cameras, lots of other stuff.

longinthetooth

Postby longinthetooth » 07 Nov 2011, 13:22

Hi Geoff
This is the telescope I hope to put in my observatory - if I get it built - so it hasn't been used in a while. I'll check the handset cable but I think both ends are identical. The front panel lights up as does the handbox, and I was able to run a focusser from the front panel (but not controlled by the handbox). I wonder if would still be able to control the scope from a laptop?
Cheers
John B

longinthetooth

Postby longinthetooth » 15 Nov 2011, 17:09

LX200 still down!
I'd like to check the keyboard and the dec cables just to eliminate them from the equation. Would anyone on the forum happen to have (working) LX200 cables I could borrow, try and return?
Thanks folks
John B

longinthetooth

Postby longinthetooth » 08 Dec 2011, 19:47

Scope now off to London - hopefully for repair!

longinthetooth

Update!

Postby longinthetooth » 13 Jan 2012, 19:10

As of yesterday the scope works. Goto and everything! The greatest comeback since Lazarus! Many thanks to Steve Collingwood at Telescope House - OUTSTANDING service, way above and beyond duty. I can recommend them.
Now I have to build an observatory round it. Currently it's in pieces in the basement. This retirement thing is great isn't it!
John B :D

Return to “Practical Astronomy”