Christmas gift possibly has Photo capabilities

Discuss practical questions about using equipment,
finding celestial objects etc.
NightHawk

Christmas gift possibly has Photo capabilities

Postby NightHawk » 22 Dec 2006, 02:18

Hello,

The christmas gift(Telescope likely) I am receiving, possibly has photo capabilities.

If so, I presume it requires hooking it up to a computer.

Do photographic enabled telescopes bundle software to capture/process photos, generally?

Is it usually easy to a grip of? or knowledge of processing photos required?

I would really like to use it with my notebook which is running fedora core 6 linux.

This would be my first telescope. It would be good to get some understanding in advance before I dive in to this technology. That's if my hunch of receiving such a gift is correct! Thanks.

Seasons Greetings.
Neil

bhenderson50

Christmas present

Postby bhenderson50 » 22 Dec 2006, 14:16

Hi Neil,
seems like somebody must like you a lot! I have a little experience in taking images through telescopes, so I may be able to give you some general guidance.
For imaging the planets, moon or sun, a webcam will produce some stunning results. This is because these objects provide plenty of light, so a webcam attached to the telescope will acquire frames at around 10fps, and you can then use free software [Registax] to align and stack the best frames from say 2000 video frames. I can provide you more detail once you have your hands on the goodies on Christmas day.
For imaging deep sky objects, such as galaxies and nebulae, the light levels are much lower, so a ccd camera and long exposures are needed. I am just getting in to this now, and have had mixed results. Be glad to share the learning with you.
The bottom line is that for just a few pounds [maybe £100 all told], you can be up and running taking images of solar objects with good results. I have a Meade LPI [lunar planetary imager] which you would be welcome to try out with your telescope, which will give pretty good black and white images. It comes complete with operating software.
Not sure about the notebook/operating system combination you are using, perhaps Paul would be able to advise.
Have a good Christmas,
Bob
bobh

pbholmes

What Camera?

Postby pbholmes » 22 Dec 2006, 17:40

Do you know what make/model it is likely to be, or what kind of
camera it comes with if the camera isn't built in?

NightHawk

Postby NightHawk » 25 Dec 2006, 18:28

Thank you for your replies.

I received a telescope!

Unfortunately it does not have a camera. But it is computer guided and I can plug it into my laptop I think. There is null modem cable like connection.

It is a Meade NGC-60. Should be a good introductory telescope for me.

Pic 1:

Pic 2:

I had a quick look around the internet for webcams and telescopes. It turns out my old webcam, a Kodak DV 325, is a CCD digital camera. How to use it with the telescope.. I haven't the foggiest! So many different possible hole locations. It does have a camera screw mount for a tripod underneath the camera, which could be handy. If it is possible to use this webcam. Also just crossed my mind, the objects I view could be upside down?

kodak pic:

Colour 640x480 @ 30fps

I'm going to have to use WinXP, as the webcam drivers for this device in Linux are dreadful.

Thanks for your explanation Bob.

Any more advice is appreciated.

All very exciting, hopefully I get some clear nights coming up.

pbholmes

Downside up

Postby pbholmes » 26 Dec 2006, 19:04

Looks like a nice piece of kit.

I wouldn't worry too much about thing being the wrong way up, for two reasons:
    1 It's much easier to turn the camera than to do a handstand
    2 In space, there isn't really a right way up anyway

Have lots of fun when the weather clears,
Paul.

NightHawk

Postby NightHawk » 26 Dec 2006, 19:16

objects I view could be upside down?

1 It's much easier to turn the camera than to do a handstand
2 In space, there isn't really a right way up anyway

I suppose that isn't the brightest question. Now you have put it that way lol

I had the telescope and webcam starring at some berries in a bush today. Colours and quality of the video/picture came out suprisingly well. Hopefully I will achieve similar quality in the nightsky.

Return to “Practical Astronomy”