Transit of Venus

Past and future meetings and observing sessions.
Alderney99

Re: Transit of Venus

Postby Alderney99 » 06 Jun 2012, 12:32

Had alarm set for 1:59am - looked poor out.
Re-surfaced at 3am - ditto - went back to bed, so apologies for not making it.

DID see 1st contact and 2nd contact and some of the "drift" earlier though via the NASA EDGE website, with live
cameras from Mauna Kea, Hawaii, in white light and H-alpha.

But "seeing" is NOT really "observing" as such :^(

PS - good pic on BBC Breakast this morning fom Shetland, through a gap in the clouds.
Seemed to be nothing from Scottish mainland?

Pics galore on www.spaceweather.com , http://venustransit.gsfc.nasa.gov/ etc including from the ISS.

IJ

Cosmic

Re: Transit of Venus

Postby Cosmic » 06 Jun 2012, 15:13

)Hello All,
Geoff "the stuffer" here, Yes a great pity but not be unexpected. However a great time was had by all just nattering and catching up and although we didn't see the transit we were treated to a simulation on Paul's laptop :)

Brian was there with his solar finder scope :shock:
and nice to see Pete again. We also had a visit from Rab from Kirkaldy camera club.
Attendees: Myself, Paul, Solar B, Moustache Pete, Ryohei, Priti and baby priti, Makbule and melisa (in the car :D )
I don't think I missed anyone.
A big thank you to Jonatahan and the Fairmont Hotel St Andrews for allowing us to use the venue.

Geoff
Meade 8inch  SCT. Observatory mounted on an HEQ5 Pro using EQMOD Canon 1000D modified DSLR,200mm Dobsonian, 200mm Celestron C8, 15x70 Astro Binoculars. 2x Mintron ccd cameras, lots of other stuff.

Return to “Meetings”