Extra funding for Scottish science centres

Coverage of astronomy in newspapers, magazines, TV and online.
seabay

Postby seabay » 03 Jul 2008, 08:07

You probably already heard about this, but just in case!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7481901.stm
Emma H

Cosmic

Extra Funding

Postby Cosmic » 05 Jul 2008, 14:41

Hi Emma
Thanks for link. It's always nice to see funding for these type of projects.
Our local Primary School (St. Leonards) provides lessons on the Solar System and The Universe for P6 and I have volunteered to take the class out for some observing in the Winter months to help them get some hands on experience. I know you are down South so I can't ask you, But, if anyone local would like to help out on a couple of nights in the winter any help will not be refused :)

regards
Cosmic (Geoff)
Meade 8inch  SCT. Observatory mounted on an HEQ5 Pro using EQMOD Canon 1000D modified DSLR,200mm Dobsonian, 200mm Celestron C8, 15x70 Astro Binoculars. 2x Mintron ccd cameras, lots of other stuff.

Cosmic

Postby Cosmic » 10 Jul 2008, 00:31

Hi Emma
Thanks and I'll let you know when BB's arrive I'm sure the kids will appreciate them.
regards
Cosmic
Meade 8inch  SCT. Observatory mounted on an HEQ5 Pro using EQMOD Canon 1000D modified DSLR,200mm Dobsonian, 200mm Celestron C8, 15x70 Astro Binoculars. 2x Mintron ccd cameras, lots of other stuff.

Cosmic

BB back isuuses

Postby Cosmic » 14 Jul 2008, 09:59

Hi Emma
back issues of BB arrived many thanks and i'll be sure to let the kids where they came from.
I'm getting withdrawal symptoms up here. Not a clear sky in weeks -Sigh-
I may have to take solar b's advice and start looking to the Sun (not that weve seen much of that either).
Yesterday afternoon there was a very strange phenomenon regarding the Sun. It appeared to have a massive dark ring around it with the edges of the ring multicoloured like a rainbow. The inner part of the circle was an inky black colour. Do you know if this is caused by ice particles in the atmosphere?

regards
Geoff

seabay

Postby seabay » 15 Jul 2008, 13:49

Hi Geoff - glad the BBs arrived OK . . . . remind me: did I send any issue 16??  If not, I have some, so let me know and they will be on their way.

Don't know about what you saw around the sun the other day - sounds like a sun dog, but never heard of them having a black ring - Solar B would probably be your best bet to solve the riddle!

Same here with the weather, so you have my sympathy - here's a sense of what we've been getting lately (this is looking out my kitchen window last Saturday).

Cheers,
Emma

Emma H

Return to “Media, TV and Internet”