Hi :)

Information for new members.
Big Rod

Postby Big Rod » 05 Jan 2007, 16:33

bhenderson50 wrote:Looks like you have got yourself a fine scope there.

Ah that's good news!! Phew! :) I was kind'a worried I'd get laughed at 'cos I bought it a bit blind. (Unless of course it was you who sold me it!! :? :lol: )

bhenderson50 wrote:The tripod will be necessary though, so if it is broken, we should have a look at it to see if it can be repaired. If not, you should probably look to procure a new one

I'd gathered that really, I couldn't imagine getting very far by holding it in a seafaring manner!! :lol: The tripod works to a certain degree it's just the clips that hold the telescopic legs are broken. Nothing a bit of Gaffer tape won't provide a short term cure for.

bhenderson50 wrote:[or even better, an equatorial mount].

Whassat then? :?

bhenderson50 wrote:why don't you bring it along to the next meeting?
Bob

Fully intend to Bob! At the earliest available opportunity. :wink:

Thanks!

bhenderson50

Postby bhenderson50 » 05 Jan 2007, 17:28

Hi Rod,
an equatorial mount is on which holds the telescope so that one of its axes of rotation is parallel to the earth's axis of rotation - the bottom line is it means that if it is correctly aligned, the telescope can be motor driven to counteract the rotation of the earth. this will then keep whatever you are looking at [ planets, moon, stars etc] fixed in the view of the telescope.
The normal tripod type mount is called an alt/azimuth mount, which is really better suited for looking at ground based objects.
Don't worry though, you can work with an alt/az mount for most visual observation.
See you whenever you can manage along to a meeting.
Bob
bobh

Return to “New members”